Meditation is an ‘art of living’ that can completely change a person’s perspective on life. Before knowing how that can be possible, first of all, you need to understand what the term ‘meditation’ actually refers to.
Meditation is an ancient practice often pursued by people for enlightenment or self-realization. It involves a number of various techniques including mindfulness, focusing (the mind), etc. The primary objectives of meditation are:
- To go beyond the boundaries of the mind in search of spirituality or enlightenment.
- Procuring a peaceful state of mind.
- Reaching the state of consciousness.
- Understanding the true meaning of humanity.
- Realizing the importance of one’s own thoughts and feelings.
- Striving for inner peace and calmness.
- Achieving fulfillment and well-being (of the mind as well as the body).
Origin Of Meditation
Interestingly, meditation traces its history back to 1500 B.C.E. (Before Common Era). Any written account or assertion of (any kind of) meditation was first found in the Vedas – Hindu scriptures – in the aforementioned era. Many historians, across the world, believe that it was a significant and integral practice in the earliest forms of Vedic institutions in India. Later, they say, the Indian Buddhists (followers of Buddha) and the Chinese Taoists (adherents of Taoism – a Chinese philosophy) started developing their own styles and versions of this classical practice between the 6th and 4th centuries.
Besides, the (English) term mediation is derived from the Latin word ‘Meditatum’ which means “to think deep”. There is nothing known about its precise origin. However, a whole host of expert historians believe that this practice came into existence many thousands of years ago.
Always Stressed? Start Meditating Now and See the Difference
One of the biggest problems among people, in the present-day world, is ‘excessive stress.’ It is something that can be life-threatening at times. Stress can sometimes cause irrecoverable damage to a person’s mental as well as emotional health.
Moreover, meditation is something that has remarkable stress-busting properties. In fact, it has been one of the best stress-busters for ages. Even doctors believe that there’s nothing that can replace it as a stress buster.
You must try practicing it on a regular basis, in case you want to get rid of all that stress you have. You will see the magic!
How This Ancient Practice Can Change Your Life
If you become a regular practitioner of meditation, you will soon start noticing tremendous changes in your nature and personality. There are innumerable advantages of this practice. Some of them are as follows:
- Meditation will make you livelier and happier, nay, a better person.
- It will change your viewpoint and the way you look at life.
- It is widely believed that “meditation reveals people to themselves”.
- Meditation will help you deal with your everyday stress.
- This ancient practice will show you the way to enlightenment.
- It will make you more compassionate and empathetic towards other living beings. It generates kindness in people.
- Meditation controls anxiety reduces stress, promotes emotional as well as physical health, etc.
- It helps to fight any kind of addiction.
- Meditating on a regular basis keeps sharpening your memory.